Monday, February 8, 2010

Words from the pulpit

Yeah, I know, me? at a pulpit? Seriously?

We all know I am perfectly comfortable speaking before a crowd. It is kind of hard not to in my profession as a university professor. I get paid to "profess". And, many know how I enjoy musing over spirituality, our divinity, and the ways in which organized religion has left many of us with a distaste for being open about this facet of our lives. But I gotta say, I am a part of an amazing community of souls at Northside Christian Church. Honestly, it STILL makes me uncomfortable to identify myself with a Christian Church given how so many "Christians" have turned off so many of us "non-believers" or tried to save our souls from eternal damnation. But Northside is not that kind of place. Northside thrives on the questions, not the answers.

In this amazing community of mystics, skeptics, traditionalists, and old souls, I have served as the liturgist as well as an elder. I am sharing some of the prayers that I have written as I have fulfulled these roles at the pulpit. If interested, each has been labeled "prayer".

No comments:

Post a Comment